RUMI

Cada árbol y cada planta del prado
parece estar danzando;
aquéllos con ojos comunes
sólo los verán fijos e inmóviles.

11 dic 2012

10 types of Automatic Negative Thoughts by Tim Sharp


1. Over generalisation

Coming to a general conclusion based on a single event or one piece of evidence. If something bad happens once, you expect it to happen again and again. Such thoughts often include the words ‘always’ and ‘never’.

I forgot to finish that project on time. I never manage to do things right.

He didn’t want to go out with me. I’ll always be lonely.

I didn’t get that job I went for last week. I’ll never find work.

2. Filtering

Concentrating on the negatives while ignoring the positives; ignoring important information that contradicts your view of the situation.

I know he (my boss) said most of my submission was great but he also said there were a number of mistakes that had to be corrected… he must think I’m really hopeless.

I’ve just lost my job… my life is a complete mess (despite the fact that I’m very healthy and have a loving family who cares for me)

3. All or nothing thinking

Thinking in black and white, or all or nothing terms (e.g. things are right or wrong, good or bad); a tendency to view things at the extremes with no room for middle

I made so many mistakes… If I can’t do it perfectly I might as well not bother

I won’t be able to get all of this done, so I may as well not start it

This job is so bad… there’s nothing good about it at all

4. Personalising

Taking responsibility for something that is not necessarily your fault; thinking what people say or do is some kind of reaction specific to you, or is in some way directly related to you.

John’s in a terrible mood… it must have been something I’ve done

It’s obvious she doesn’t like me; otherwise she would have waved to me.

I didn’t get the job because of my appearance.

5. Catastrophising

Overestimating the chances of disaster; expecting something unbearable or intolerable to happen (such thoughts begin with ‘What if…?’)

What if I make a fool or myself and people laugh at me?

What if I haven’t turned the iron off and the house burns down?

If I don’t’ perform well, I’l get the sack.

6. Emotional reasoning

Mistaking feelings for facts – negative things you feel about yourself are held to be true because they feel true

I feel like a failure, therefore I am a failure

I feel ugly, therefore I must be ugly

I feel hopeless, therefore my situation must be hopeless

7. Mind Reading

Making assumptions about other people’s thoughts, feelings and behaviours without checking out the evidence (e.g. asking them)

John’s talking to Molly so he must like her more than me

I can tell he hates my shirt

I could tell she thought I was stupid in the interview

8. Fortune Telling

Anticipating an outcome and assuming your prediction is an established fact. These negative expectations can be self-fulfilling; predicting what we would do on the basis of past behaviour might prevent the possibility of change.

I’ve always been like this; I’ll never be able to change

It’s not going to work out so there’s not much point of trying

This relationship is sure to fail

9. ‘Should’ Statements

Using ‘should’, ‘ought’ or ‘must’ statements can set up unrealistic expectations of yourself and others. It involves operating by rigid rules and not allowing for flexibility.

I shouldn’t get angry. I should always be happy

People should be nice to me all the time

I should own my own house, have a great job, be happily married

10. Magnification/minimisation

A tendency to exaggerate the importance of negative information or experiences (making mountains out of molehills) while trivialising or reducing the significance of positive information or experiences.

She noticed my bad haircut. I know she said she will go out with me again, but I bet she doesn’t call.

She said I did a good job but she was probably just saying that to be nice.

After reading all that you can see that all of us fall into at least a few of those categories at times, which is human. Completely human.

When I personally went through this list I spent a solid 2 to 3 months analysing my thoughts. It was hard to write honestly and pick my thoughts apart but some of the questions I had to ask myself were are these thoughts helpful? And am I being realistic? Do I have everything into perspective? Am I jumping to conclusions? Am I focusing too much on the negatives? Will this really be bad in one, two or five years? Even if it did really happen, is it really that bad? How likely is it that the worst would happen?

Going through this has helped me a great deal just with my every day thinking, and if you read my previous blog post about my first few weeks here in America it’s helped me to adjust with transition a great deal. I’m certainly no pro in relaying information, people like Tim Sharp and Norman Doidge are. If you want to read more on Tim see below, there’s also a link to a lot of his free literature and I’ve included a link to Norman Doidge’s book as well.

Happy Monday everyone!


Dr. Tim Sharp

The Happiness Intsitute

Twitter: @drhappy

The Happiness Handbook

Free Resources from Dr. Tim Sharp

Source: http://www.faustinaagolley.com/posts/936